is a city in the Indian
state of Karnataka
It was the capital of the kingdom of Mysore, which forms a large part of modern-day Karnataka.
One of the best (some would say worst) times to visit Mysore is during the annual nine-night, ten-day Dussera or Navaratri festival, which usually occurs in early October.
Mysore University (named Manasa Gangotri) one of the oldest universities in India is located in this City. Other institutions include the Central Food and Technology Research Institute CFTRI, Defense Food and Research Laboratory DFRL.
Mysore is also called the City of Palaces, because there are many palaces situated in the city.
A few of them are
- The main Mysore Palace
- Rajendra Vilas (also called the summer palace situated on top of the Chamundi hills)
- Jaganmohana Palace
- Jayalakshmi Palace (Situated inside the University of Mysore premises)
- Lalit Mahal (Now converted to a hotel)
Even though the Government of Karnataka is now looking after the Mysore palace, a small portion of the palace has been given to the Royal family to live in.
Mysore is also known as the Cultural Capital of Karnataka.
- The Mysore Palace
- The Krishna Raja Sagar(KRS) across the Kaveri river
- The Chamarajendra Zoological Gardens known popularly as Mysore Zoo
- The Chamundi Temple [On the Chamundi Hills]
- Srirangapattana (referred to in old English documents as Seringapatam)
- The Nilgiris mountain range
- The Bandipur National Park
- The Nagarhole Bird Sanctuary, now a National Park
- Rangantitu Bird Sanctuary
- Kabini: rated among the top five wildlife resorts in the world by Tatler's Travel Guide