, the Moorfields
were one of the last pieces of open land in the City of London
, near the Moorgate
. The fields were divided into three areas, the Moorfields proper, just north of Bethlem Hospital
, and inside the City boundaries, and Middle and Upper Moorfields to the north.
Much of Moorfields was developed in 1777, when Finsbury Square was developed; the remainder succumbed within the next few decades.
Today the name survives in the names of Moorfields Eye Hospital (since moved to another site) and St Mary Moorfields.