By the time that the California Gold Rush began in 1848, the city of San Francisco had grown tremendously. There were saloons and two race tracks on the mission property. During the 1906 earthquake, the basilica next to the mission church fell and was destroyed, but the Mission San Francisco de Asís remained unharmed.
The mission is still an active church in the city of San Francisco. Many people attend services in the mission church and even more attend mass in the basilica next door. The mission is open to visitors.
The Mission is now the name of the San Francisco neighborhood surrounding the church.