Main Page | See live article | Alphabetical index

Mission Nuestra Senora de la Soledad

Mission Nuestra Señora de la Soledad was founded on October 9, 1791 by Father Fermin Lasuen, the thirteenth mission in the California mission chain. It was named for Our Lady of Solitude, and is located in the small town of Soledad, California.

For 90 years after secularization the mission sat crumbling in the wind and rain. In 1954, when restoration was begun, only piles of adobe dirt were remaining. All that was left was the front part of the chapel. It is still being rebuilt and restored, and archeologists are still at work. The ruins of the quadrangle, cemetery and some of the rooms can still be seen.

Mission Nuestra Señora de la Soledad today serves a as mission of the parish of Soledad. It is open for visitors, but is not used as a parish church.

See also: California mission