The town took root out of a settlement by Jasper Martin, along the Sixteen Mile Creek, who emmigrated from Newcastle, England with his wife Sarah and two sons on May 17th, 1818. Martin was granted 100 acres of land, from the Crown in 1820, designated Lot 14, Concession 2, Township of Trafalgar, Halton County, in the District of Gore. Martin later built a grist mill along the creek and created a pond, known as Mill Pond, to power his mill. The mill became the centre of settlement for others as they settled in the region. In 1837 the area had a population of approximately 100 people and was named Mill Town. The town, as it is today, soon after became known as Milton. The two principal property owners of the young town were the Martins and the Fosters. The current site of Milton's town hall was donated from Hugh Foster.
Milton, as a municipality, became incorporated in 1857.
The town has easy access to Toronto, and most of the development is suburban in nature. The major industries in Milton are automotive, advanced maufacturing, distribution and food production.
|East: Halton Hills
|South: Hamilton, Burlington