Mac OS X 10.3Mac OS X 10.3
, code-named Panther
, is the fourth major release of Apple computer
's operating system Mac OS X
. The previous release was called Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar
. Apple charges $129.00 for a single-user license and $199.00 for a Family Pack (5 user) license.
Apple released Panther on October 24th, 2003. Apple claims that Panther has at least 150 new features, including:
- Finder updated interface
- Brushed-metal interface
- Real-time searching (like iTunes)
- Customizable sidebar (like iTunes)
- Fast User Switching, that allows a user to remain logged in while another user logs in feature, featuring the desktop on an animated cube. Windows XP has a similar feature without an animated cube.
- Exposť, a program to help the user manage windows, especially large numbers of them
- Faxing support built-in.
- X11 support built-in
- Microsoft Windows interoperability improvements, including support for SecurID-based VPNs.
- FileVault: on the fly encryption and decryption of a user's home folder
- Secure deletion
- Xcode, the new Developer Tools which speeds compile times greatly.
- iChat AV video-conferencing software
- PDF rendering speed increase
- File labels