Luxeuil was the Roman Lixomum and contained many fine buildings at the time of its destruction by the Huns under Attila in 451. In 590 St Columban here founded a monastery, afterwards one of the most famous in Franche Comté. In the 8th century it was destroyed by the Saracens; afterwards rebuilt, monastery and town were devastated by the Normans in the 9th century and pillaged on several occasions afterwards.
See H Beaumont, Etude hist, sur l'abbaye de Luxeuil, 890-1790 (Lux. 1895); Grandmongin and A Garnier, Hist. de la mile et des thermes de Luxeuil (Paris, 1866), with 16 plates.