It was built by the 5th Earl of Derby in 1592 for use as a hunting lodge and to watch Wallasey Races on Meols Sands. At first it consisted only of an octagonal tower. It became known as New Hall and later on as Mockbeggar Hall due to its semi-derelict state. The Stanley family (the Earls of Derby) only owned the building for about 100 years.
In 1826 it became a hotel. Between 1911 and 1970, it was a railway convalescent home, and between 1974 and 1980 it was owned by Wallasey Coporation, then Wirral Borough Council. It became a hotel again in 1980.