Main Page | See live article | Alphabetical index

Lacock Abbey

Lacock Abbey in the village of Lacock, Wiltshire, England, began life as a monastery of the Augustinian order. Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries, in the mid 16th century, it was converted into a house for Sir William Sharrington, who demolished the abbey church. Few other alterations were made to the monastic buildings themselves: the cloisters, for example, still stand below the living accommodation. However, additions were made over the centuries, and the house now has a tower in the Renaissance style, and various grand rooms. It is associated with William Henry Fox Talbot (who moved into a converted barn by the gate in 1833), and now houses a museum devoted to his pioneering work in photography. It is owned by the National Trust.

External link