, or Kristinestad
, is a municipality
. Population 8.500. The city was chartered in 1649
at Koppö island. This idyllic town with low wooden houses and narrow alleys is unlike any other place in the Nordic Countries
. Kristiinankaupunki has often been called the pearl of the southern part of the Gulf of Bothnia
. The town has a shoreline of 370 km's.