Israel is a Hebrew name meaning "one who has struggled with God"; it was the name given to the biblical patriarch Jacob.
Some bible commentators have claimed that Israel is another name for Isaac rather than Jacob, or that it may mean either. This appears to be based on Amos 7:9, 16. However Genesis 32:22-28 clearly gives this name to Jacob, not to Isaac.
From this name is derived:
is also a common given name. Famous people named Israel include:
This is a disambiguation page. If you followed a link here, you might want to go back to that article, and fix the link to point specifically to the article that best fits the context.
- Israel Kirzner, American economist
- Israel Putnam, American general
- Israel Regardie, British occultist
- Israel Shahak, Israeli author
- Israel Shamir, Israeli journalist