IBM PC keyboardKeyboards
for the IBM PC
are standardized. However during the 20 years of the PC architecture being constantly updated as well several types of keyboards have been developed. They all utilise the QWERTY
- 83-Key PC/XT Keyboard Layout
- 84-Key AT Keyboard Layout
- 101-Key "Enhanced" Keyboard Layout - additional navigation and control keys
- 102-Key "Enhanced" Keyboard Layouts - additional key to the left to the key)
- 104-Key "Windows" Keyboard Layout - Windows and menu key added
- 107-Key "Enhanced" Keyboard Layout - Wake, Sleep, and Power keys added (for power management)
There are three types of connectors used to connect the keyboards the main unit
The first two are:
- 5-pin DIN (DIN 41524, "AT") connector
- 6-pin "mini-DIN" (DIN 45322, "PS/2") connector.
They are physically different but electrically the same.
The third is via a USB connector.
See also: computer keyboard