The city of Iaşi lies on the Bahlui river, a tributary of the Prut river.
Iaşi was first mentioned in a 1408 document by Prince (Voivode) Alexandru cel Bun (Alexander the Kind).
Iaşi is home to the oldest Romanian university, opened by Prince Alexandru Ioan Cuza in 1860. Nowadays the city hosts five universities. Iaşi is widely regarded as the cultural "heart" of the "Old Kingdom" (that is Moldavia and Wallachia, the basis of the first Romanian state).