I Against II Against I
is an alternative rock
album by Bad Brains
, released in 1986
(see 1986 in music
) as SST Records
number 65. Widely regarded as the highest-quality album in Bad Brains' catalogue, I Against I
is a critically praised album of American punk rock
mixed with Jamaican reggae
music. Both genres have frequently socially aware lyrics, and I Against I
continues that tradition with diatribes against violence and other social evils.
The title I Against I presumably refers to a common Rastafarian phrase, I and I, which is used in place of the first-person plural (e.g. we) in order to signify the union of the speaker, audience and Jah (God) in love and peace.
- "Intro" (Miller/Jenifer) - 1:02
- "I Against I" (Hudson/Miller/Jennifer) - 2:50
- "House of Suffering" (Hudson/Miller) - 2:28
- "Re-Ignition" (Hudson/Jenifer/Miller) - 4:18
- "Secret 77" (Hudson/Miller/Jenifer) - 4:03
- "Let Me Help" (Hudson/Miller/Jenifer) - 2:15
- "She's Calling You" (Hudson/Jenifer) - 3:40
- "Sacred Love" (Hudson/Miller/Jenifer) - 3:40
- "Hired Gun" (Hudson/Miller/Jenifer) - 3:43
- "Return to Heaven" (Hudson/Miller/Jenifer) - 3:54
- Doctor Know - Guitar
- H.R. - Vocals
- Earl Hudson - Drums
- Darryl Jenifer - Bass
- Ron St. Germain - Producer
- Phil Burnett - Engineer
- Patch - Mixing
- Anthony Countey - Management
- Jesse Henderson - Assistant Engineer at Longview Farm, Worchester, MA
- Bill Ryan - Assistant Engineer at Longview Farm, Worchester, MA
- Eddie Krupski - Assistant Engineer for mixing at Soundworks, N.Y.C.
- Dennis Mitchell - Assistant Engineer for mixing at Soundworks, N.Y.C.
- Bob Ludwig - Mastering at Masterdisc, N.Y.C.
- Marcia Resnick - Cover concept, Photography
- Paul Bacon Studio - Calligraphy and development