The town is of prehistoric origin. in 1970, evidence of neolithic settlement was found.
In 1846, Henry Styleman Le Strange, a local landowner, had the idea to turn Hunstanton into a holiday resort. Many new buildings were built, mostly in warm Norfolk carrstone. After this death, his son took over the idea.
In 1910, Book published "The Rocks of Hunstanton and its Neigbourhood" by J.F. Jackson (The Premier Press).
In 1936, Searle's Holiday Centre was opened.
In 1978, The Pier was destroyed by fire.