is a large tidal estuary
in northern England
. It starts at Trent Falls at the confluence of the River Ouse
and the River Trent
; it then passes the junction with the Market Weighton Canal on the north shore, the junction with the River Ancholme
on the south shore; past North Ferriby and South Ferriby, under the Humber Bridge
and past Barton-upon-Humber
and then into the North Sea
In the Anglo-Saxon period, it was a major boundary, separating Northumbria from the southern kingdoms. Indeed the name Northumbria simply indicates the area North of the Humber. It currently forms the boundary between the East Riding of Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire between Faxfleet and Spurn Head.
Two fortifications were built in the mouth of the river in 1914, the Humber Forts.
Humber was also the name of a make of British car, which disappeared after mergers in the 1960s. See Humber (car).