is the Melbourne, Australia television
affiliate in the Australian
Seven television network. When the Federal Government of Australia issued the first two commercial licenses for Melbourne in 1956
, one went to General Television Limited which opened station GTV-9 and the other was granted to The Herald and Weekly Times Ltd
, owners of The Herald
and The Sun News-Pictorial newspapers
The call letters HSV stand for Herald Sun Victoria and were used to "brand" the station in those early years when individual TV stations were very much stand-alone and relied little on the network. HSV-7's studios were located in the Herald and Weekly Times building in Flinders Street, Melbourne from 1956 until the HWT sold the station in 1987.