Main Page | See live article | Alphabetical index


The landgraviate of Hesse-Homburg consisted of two parts, the district of Homburg on the right side of the Rhine, and the district of Meisenheim, which was added in 1815, on the left side of the same river.

After the landgraviate was abolished in 1866, Homburg became part of the Prussian province of Hesse-Nassau, and Meisenheim of the province of the Rhine.

Hesse-Homburg was formed into a separate landgraviate in 1622 by the landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt to be ruled by his son, although it did not become independent of Hesse-Darmstadt until 1668.

It was briefly divided into Hesse-Homburg and Hesse-Homburg-Bingenheim; but these parts were again united in 1681.

In 1806, Hesse-Homburg was incorporated with Hesse-Darmstadt; but in 1815 by the Congress of Vienna the latter state was compelled to recognize the independence of Hesse-Homburg, which was increased by the addition of Meisenhelm.

In 1866, Hesse-Homburg was inherited by the grand-duke of Hesse-Darmstadt, while Meisenheim fell to Prussia. Later that same year these territories were taken from Hesse-Darmstadt again, and the former landgraviate was combined with electorate of Hesse-Kassel, duchy of Nassau, and the free city of Frankfurt to form the Prussian provice of Hesse-Nassau.

Today it forms a part of the German state of Hesse.