Hermann HesseHermann Hesse
- August 9
) was a German author
, and the winner of the 1946 Nobel Prize in literature
. He is most famous for his novels Steppenwolf
and Das Glasperlenspiel
(The Glass Bead Game
Hesse's interests in existential, spiritual, and mystical themes and in Buddhist and Hindu philosophy may be seen in his works.
Born on July 2, 1877 in Calw, Württemberg, Hesse emigrated to Switzerland in 1912 and in 1923 became a Swiss citizen.
He died of cerebral hemorrhage in his sleep in Montagnola at the age of 85.
- 1904 - Peter Camenzind
- 1906 - Unterm Rad
- 1910 - Gertrud
- 1919 - Demian
- 1920 - Klingsors letzter Sommer
- 1922 - Siddhartha
- 1927 - Der Steppenwolf (the name was borrowed by the rock group Steppenwolf)
- 1930 - Narziss und Goldmund
- 1932 - Die Morgenlandfahrt
- 1943 - Das Glasperlenspiel (English translations have been variously titled, Magister Ludi, Master of the Game, and The Glass Bead Game.)
External Links and references