Main Page | See live article | Alphabetical index


H-dropping is a colloquial term used to describe the "dropping" of initial "h" in words like "house", "heat", and "hangover" in many dialects of English, particularly in England. It is often regarded as a solecism but occurs in many other languages, such as French, Spanish, and Italian, where initial "h" was lost in standard spoken usage centuries ago.