is a metropolitan county
which covers an area roughly encompassing the conurbation
of which the city of Manchester
is the centre. It is situated in North West England
. It has a population of about 2.5 million.
It borders onto Cheshire, Derbyshire, West Yorkshire, Lancashire and the unitary authorities of Blackburn with Darwen and Warrington.
It is made up of ten Metropolitan boroughs - Bolton, Bury, Manchester proper, Oldham, Rochdale, Salford, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford and Wigan.
Greater Manchester was established as a Metropolitan county in 1974 from areas that had previously been part of Lancashire and Cheshire, and a number of areas that had previously been county boroughs independent of county administration.
It was initially administered by the "Greater Manchester County Council" but this was abolished in 1986 with most functions being devolved to the metropolitan boroughs.
The Metropolitan boroughs are now mostly independent councils, although
they pool certain resources to run several Greater Manchester-wide services,
- Greater Manchester Police Authority
- Greater Manchester County Fire Service
- Greater Manchester Passenger Transport Executive
Other services are directly funded and managed by the local councils.
Towns and villages
Places of interest
- Ainsworth, Altrincham, Ashton-in-Makerfield, Ashton-under-Lyne, Ashton upon Mersey, Astley Green, Atherton
- Blackrod, Bolton, Bowdon, Bramhall, Broadbottom, Bury
- Carrington, Chadderton, Cheadle, Cheadle Heath, Cheadle Hulme, Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Crumpsall
- Denton, Droylsden, Dukinfield
- Failsworth, Fallowfield, Flixton
- Hazel Grove, Heald Green, Heywood, Horwich, |Hyde
- Leigh, Levenshulme, Littleborough, Little Lever, Lowton, Lowton Common
- Manchester, Marple, Marple Bridge, Milnrow, Mossley, Mottram-in-Longdendale
- Oldham, Orrell
- Partington, Pendlebury, Pennington, Prestwich
- Radcliffe, Ramsbottom, Rochdale, Royton
- Sale, Salford, Standish, Stretford, Swinton
- Timperley, Trafford Park
- West Didsbury, Whitefield, Wigan Withington, Woodley, Worsley
- Buckton Castle
- Bramall Hall, Bramhall
- Salford Quays, Salford
- Smithills Hall
- Wythenshawe Hall
- Astley Cheetham Art Gallery, Ashton-under-Lyne
- Museum of the Manchester Regiment, Ashton-under-Lyne
- Park Bridge Heritage Centre
- Portland Basin Museum, Ashton-under-Lyne
- Etherow Country Park
- Etherow Park
- River Bollin, River Croal, River Irwell, River Mersey, River Roch, River Tame
- Manchester Ship Canal
- East Lancashire Railway, a heritage railway