The east end seen from the southwest
was founded in the town of Guisborough
in the 1129 by Robert de Brus, an ancestor of Robert the Bruce
. It was destroyed in the Dissolution of the Monasteries
and the stones from it were used in other buildings in the town including Saint Nicholas
church. Oddly, the East wall was left standing and is considered something of a landmark. Due to the large window in it, this wall forms a distinctive arch shape and is often used as a symbol of the town. The priory is now owned by English Heritage
Local legend has it that a ghost, known as the Black Monk (latter-day accounts often refer to him as the Black-Cowled Monk, to avoid confusion) haunts the site of the priory on the first new moon of each year.
See also: Priory.
Spelling note: The older spelling of Gisborough, without the "u", is still correct for a number of things in and around the town of Guisborough. These include Lord Gisborough, Gisborough Hall and Gisborough Moor in addition to this priory.