Gilbert PlainsGilbert Plains
: a town (population approx. 800) on highway 5 and the CN railway line, between Dauphin and Grandview, or about 250 miles NW of Winnipeg
. Incorporated 1906, the original townsite was some miles to the south. Named for Gilbert Ross, a metis who was living in the region when the first European settler, Glenlyon Campbell, arrived.
Gilbert Plains is situated on the Valley River, in the parkland country between the Riding Mountains and the Duck Mountains. It is primarily a service centre for the surrounding farms. It also has a pleasant 18-hole golf course, the back nine being considerably more challenging than the front 9.