The field of geochemistry
involves study of the chemical
composition of the Earth
and other planets
, chemical processes and reactions that govern the composition of rockss
and soils, and the cycles of matter and energy that transport the Earth's chemical components in time and space.
The most important fields of geochemistry are:
See also: Petrology
- Determination of the relative and absolute concentrations of the elements and their isotopes in the earth and on earth´s surface.
- Examination of the distribution and movements of elements in different parts of the earth (crust, mantle, hydrosphere etc.) and in minerals with the goal to determine the underlying legalities of distribution and movement.
- Analysis of the distribution of elements and their isotopes in the cosmos (cosmochemistry).
- Gunter Faure: Principles of Isotope Geochemistry., ISBN 0471864129
- Cl.J. Allègre, G. Michard, R.N. Varney, Introduction to Geochemistry, ISBN 90-277-0497-X,