is a small market town in the county
in the north west of England
, north west of Chester
, on the River Weaver
, and overlooking the River Mersey estuary
The town is of Saxon origin; its 11th century church is mentioned in the Domesday Book. When a salt refinery was opened in 1694, salt was brought by river from Northwich.