The Midwest League came to Fort Wayne in 1993. The franchise dates back from the league's days as the Illinois State League, starting in 1947 in Mattoon, Illinois. In 1958 the team moved to Keokuk, Iowa, where it spent five seasons; it was based in Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin (1963-83) and Kenosha, Wisconsin (1984-92) before moving to Fort Wayne. The team was a Minnesota Twins farm team before they affiliated with the Padres in 1999.
The team's home park is Memorial Stadium, which opened in 1993; the franchise attendance record of 318,506 was set that year.