is one of the four aspects of marketing
. The other three parts of the marketing mix
are product management
, and promotion
. Distribution deals with how to get the product
to the customer. It must answer questions such as:
see also marketing, marketing plan, marketing management
- What kind of distribution channel to use?
- Should the product be sold through retailing?
- Should the product be distributed through wholesale?
- Should multi-level marketing channels be used?
- How long should the channel be (how many members)?
- Where should the product or service be available?
- When should the product or service be available?
- Should distribution be exclusive or extensive?
- Who should control the channel (referred to as the channel captain)?
- Should channel relationships be informal or contractual?
- Should channel members share advertising (referred to as co-op ads)?
- Should electronic methods of distribution be used?
- Are there physical distribution and logistical issues to deal with?
- What will it cost to keep an inventory of products on store shelves and in channel warehouses (referred to as filling the pipeline)?