The Deutsches Museum is based in Munich.
It was founded on June 28, 1903 on a meeting of the German Association of Engineers as an initiative of Oskar von Miller.
It was called: "German Society of the Museum for Masterpieces of Natural Science and Technology"
Today it is one of the world largest museums of technology and science with two branches near Munich and one in Bonn.
However it did take until 1925 when the main museum building on an island in the Isar river was opened - the island formerly known as Kohleinsel (coal island) was then renamed to Museumsinsel (museum island).
The two branches near Munich are
- the Flugwerft Schleißheim (a former dockyard for airplanes), now an aircraft museum
- since 2003 the Verkehrszentrum which documents the development in transportation.