The word degeneracy
has more than one meaning:
This is a disambiguation page; that is, one that just points to other pages that might otherwise have the same name. If you followed a link here, you might want to go back and fix that link to point to the appropriate specific page.
- In general, "degeneracy" means "reverting to an earlier, simpler, state"
- In mathematics, a limiting case in which a class of object changes its nature so as to belong to another, usually simpler, class. See mathematical degeneracy.
- In physics, the mathematical meaning applies, and also see degenerate matter.
- The term "moral degeneracy" is sometimes used, based on the concept of atavism.
- The Nazis described modernist art as "degenerate art".