One of the landmarks of this village is the Datchet Manor. The history of the manor begins in 1335 when King Edward III gave the manor of Datchet to William de Montacute who then gave it to Sir John Molins, who held it until 1631. The manor changed hands several times until it became the property of the Duchess of Buccleigh in the 1700s. As of 2003, the manor is a hotel and conference centre.
The name's origin is uncertain, but the last part may be related to cet (meaning wood).