The orchestra traces its origins back to a concert given by a 40 strong group in 1900 with the conductor Hans Kreissig. It continued to perform, and grow in numbers and stature, so that in 1945 it was in a position to appoint Antal Doráti as music director. Under him, the orchestra became fully professional. Subsequent music directors have included Georg Solti and Eduardo Mata. Since 1992 Andrew Litton has held the post.