Church of Satan
The Church of Satan
is a philosophical
organization which draws its name from the Judeo-Christian
concept of Satan
, and claims that every Man and Woman is their own God and responsible for their own destiny ("Satan" is used as a symbol and metaphor rather than as an actual deity.)
It was established in 1966 by Anton Szandor LaVey in the United States. People who practice this belief are called "Satanists"
The Church of Satan does not have tax-exempt status. As part of what it refers to as Pentagonal Revisionism the Church is actively working towards taxation of all Churches, and tries to put forth a policy of "responsibility to the responsible". It does not solicit memberships, or offer a set course of degrees, and it limits the participation of those under 18 years of age.
Since the death of Anton Szandor LaVey in 1997, Peter H. Gilmore has been appointed to his current position as High Priest of the Church.
See also: Satanism, Left Hand Path
- The Church of Satan by Blanche Barton ASIN: 0962328626
Books by Anton S. LaVey
- The Devil's Notebook by Anton Szandor LaVey, ISBN 0922915113
- The Satanic Bible by Anton Szandor LaVey, ISBN 0380015390
- The Satanic Rituals by Anton La Vey, ISBN 0380013924
- The Satanic Witch by Anton Szandor LaVey, ISBN 0922915849
- Satan Speaks! by Anton Szandor LaVey, ISBN 0922915660