The State of Campeche was long a part of Yucatán and shared its history through the mid 19th century. Campeche broke away from Yucatán and became a separate state of the United Mexican States on August 7, 1857. Campeche is bordered by the Mexican states of Yucatán to the north east, Quintana Roo to the east, and Tabasco to the south west. To the south it is bordered by the Petén department of Guatemala, to the south east by Belize, and to the west by the Gulf of Mexico. The area of Campeche is 56,798 km² (about 21,924 square miles).
In addition to the city of Campeche, the State of Campeche includes the cities of Champotón, Ciudad del Carmen, and Escárcega, the towns of Bolonchen, Calkiní, Dzitbalché, Hecelchakan, Hopelchen, Lerma, Tenabo, and Sabancuy, and many ruins of the Maya civilization such as Becan, Calacmul, Civiltuk, Dzibilnocac, Etzna, Hochob, Holactun, Rio Bec, Uxul, Xicalango, Xpuhil, and Xtampak.
The state is divided into eleven municipalities (municipios): Campeche, Carmen, Candelaria, Escárcega, Calkiní, Calakmul, Champotón, Hecelchakán, Hopelchen, Palizada, and Tenabo.