The Brooklyn Public Library (BPL), founded in 1897, is the public library system of the borough of Brooklyn in New York City and the fifth largest public library system in the nation. The main branch, called the Central Library, is located next to Prospect Park, just off Grand Army Plaza, where Eastern Parkway and Flatbush Avenue intersect. It started construction in 1912 and was completed in 1941. The Central Library was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1997. Another major branch, the Business Library, is located at 280 Cadman Plaza West in downtown Brooklyn. It was opened in 1943. In addition to the Central Library and Business Library, there are 58 more local branches throughout the borough, as well as a bookmobile.
The Brooklyn Public Library system was approved by an Act of Legislature of the State of New York on May 1, 1892. The Brooklyn Common Council then passed a resolution for the establishment of the Brooklyn Public Library on November 30, 1896, with Marie E. Craigie as the first director.
The Brooklyn Public Library is one of three separate and independent public library systems in New York City. The other two are The New York Public Library (serving The Bronx, Manhattan and Staten Island), and the Queens Borough Public Library (serving Queens).