Bow BrickhillBow Brickhill
is a village
in the county of Milton Keynes
, though before 1995
it was in Buckinghamshire
. It is located just a short distance south east of the modern town of Milton Keynes
The village name is a combination of Brythonic and Anglo Saxon words for 'hill' (Brythonic: breg, Anglo Saxon hyll). The prefix 'Bow' comes from an Anglo Saxon personal name, Bolla.
The village church stands separate from the rest of the village, on the side of a steep hill. This arrangement is common in places that have a strong Celtic history. The church stood in ruins for many years, services having ceased long before the English Civil War took place, so the church was demolished and completely rebuilt in 1757. The church is dedicated to All Saints.