|Formula weight||61.8 amu|
|Melting point||Decomposes at 442 K (169 °C)|
|Solubility||5.7 g in 100g water|
|S0gas, 1 bar||295.23 J/mol·K|
|Ingestion||Toxic. Vomiting and diarrhea in small doses, larger doses may be fatal.|
|Inhalation||May cause irritation.|
|Skin||May cause irritation.|
|Eyes||May cause irritation.|
|More info||Hazardous Chemical Database|
It can be used as an antiseptic only for minor burns or cuts and is sometimes used in dressings or salves or is applied in a very dilute solution as an eye wash. It is poisonous if taken internally or inhaled, although it is generally not considered to be much more toxic than table salt (based on its LD50 rating of 2660).
It is often used as a relatively nontoxic insecticide, for killing cockroaches, termites, fire ants, fleas, and many other insects. It can be used directly in powdered form for fleas and roaches, mixed with sugar for ants. It is also a component of many commercial insecticides.