It takes its name from a local landowner, Thomas Trench Berney -- see below.
Berney Arms Reach is the name for the part of the Yare as it enters Breydon Water, and the small village of Berney Arms is situated on the north bank.
The mill is 21m tall, and the span of the sails is about the same size. It has seven floors. It was built around 1870 by the millwright firm of Stolworthy.
At first, it was used to grind cement clinker. Later it was used as a windpump to drain the marshland. The large scoop wheel is evidence of that use. The pump was in use until 1951 and has since become a major tourist attraction, bringing life and prosperity to this remotest of Broadland locations.
Berney Arms railway station is probably the most remote station in Norfolk. Trains only stop there on request. The station was opened in 1844 as part of the Yarmouth and Norwich Railway. Local landowner Thomas Trench Berney sold the land to the railway company on condition that a stop be provided in perpetuity. Nowadays the line is run by Wherry Lines Railways.