(born March 6
) is a Polish film director
His first three films were A Generation (1954), Kanal (1956) and Ashes and Diamonds (1958). The three films comprise a trilogy about the effects of World War II on Poland, and gained Wajda international acclaim.
He was born in Suwalki, Poland in the family of Polish POW murdered by Soviets in Katyn massacre. Since the truth was acknowledged in 1989, his mother was waiting for the return of her husbend for years.
Other well-known movies by Andrzej Wajda :
- Brzezina The Birch Wood
- Krajobraz po bitwie Landscape After the Battle
- Wesele The Wedding
- Ziemia obiecana The Promised Land
- Smuga cienia The Line of Shadow
- Czlowiek z marmuru The Man of Marble
- Bez znieczulenia Rough Treatment
- Panny z Wilka The Maids from Wilko
- Dyrygent The Orchestra Conductor (1980)
- Czlowiek z zelaza The Man of Iron (1981)
- Danton (1983)
- Panna Nikt Miss Nothing (1996)
- Pan Tadeusz (1998)
he was awarded the Honorary Award by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
See also: Polish film history