|Table of contents|
2 Architectural details
4 Sources/External Links
Designed by Brentwood S. Tolan, construction began in 1897, the cornerstone was laid November 17, 1897. The building was dedicated September 23, 1902 with a final cost of $817,553.59. On September 23, 2002, the building was re-dedicataed on its centennial after a seven-year restoration effort, which cost $8.6 million.
The Beaux Arts-style architecture includes sych features as four 25 by 45-foot murals by Charles Holloway, 28 different kinds of scagiola covering 15,000 square feet, bas-reliefs and art glass.
The atop the building is a 255-foot-high copper-clade domed rotunda, itself topped by a 14-foot statue wind vane of Lady Liberty. The building materials include Bedford blue stone and Vermont granite with Italian marble details.