Államvédelmi HatóságÁllamvédelmi Hatóság
was the national security department of Hungary
after the World War II
. It became very similar to the Gestapo
and other communist
This is a summary term for the Political police forces between 1945 and 1956. The list of forces:
- 1945, Budapest Police Main Command Political Dept., (Budapesti Főkapitányság Politikai Rendészeti Osztálya)
- 1946, Hungarian State Police State Protection Dept., (Magyar Államrendőrség Államvédelmi Osztálya, ÁVO)
- 1950, State Protection Authority, (Államvédelmi Hatóság, ÁVH)
- 1956, the authority was officially cancelled, but the methods were used by several, unnamed governmental or communist entities.
They supported the Communist
Party with secret or illegal wiretappings
and investigations, ran several prisons and concentration camps
, and assisted in several political court cases (Rajk, Mindszenty).
An old joke
This joke tells you all about the AVH, from the 60s.
- Mr. Kohn is dying, lying in his bed, alone.
- It is night, big thunderstorm outside, the cold winds shake the windows.
- Someone's hitting the front door and Mr. Kohn asks in a fearful, faint voice:
- - Who is it?
- - I'm The Death! - answers a terrible, low voice from the graves.
- Mr. Kohn lies back, makes a relieved sigh and say:
- - Oh, okay, I thought it's the AVH.