The newspaper was first published July 3, 1767 as "Kongelig allene privilegerede Trondheims Adresse-Contoirs Efterretninger", making it the oldest Norwegian newspaper still being published. The name has changed several times before the newspaper got its present name. Locally it is sometimes referred to as "Adressa".
In addition to the main newspaper, Adresseavisen own several smaller local newspapers in the Trøndelag region. They also run a local radiostation, RadioAdressa, and are involved in a local television station and a new national radio channel, Kanal 4.
Stocks in Adresseavisen are traded at Oslo Stock Exchange.