Originally built in the 16th century, Addington Palace
on the outskirts of Croydon
was later changed into a three-storey Palladian-style country mansion with single-storey wings and a splendid Great Hall. It is surrounded by park landscapes and golfcourses, and its gardens are still in their original design as planned by Lancelot "Capability" Brown
After an Act of Parliament in 1807 enabled the mansion to be purchased for the Archbishops of Canterbury, it became the official residence of six Archbishops:
Most of the Archbishops
are buried in St Mary's Church in Addington
In World War One the house was taken over by the Red Cross and became a fever hospital.
In 1953, it was leased to the Royal School of Church Music until 1996, when a private company took it over for development for public use.