Main Page | See live article | Alphabetical index


An academic – a member of academia – is a person who works as a researcher (and usually teacher) at a university or similar institution. In the United States, the term is approximately synonymous with professor. In the United Kingdom, varius titles are used, typically fellow, lecturer, reader and professor. In other parts of the world, the term scholar is probably closer.