Main Page | See live article | Alphabetical index

Abbey Theatre

The Abbey Theatre is the Irish National Theatre in Dublin. It was founded by William Butler Yeats and Lady Gregory in 1899 under the name of Irish Literary Theater, which was renamed in 1902 to Irish National Theatre Society. In 1904, theatre director Annie Elizabeth Fredericka Horniman helped finance the now-called Abbey Theatre.

The theatre showed plays from John Millington Synge, George William Russell, Padraic Colum, and Sean O'Casey. In 1951, the theatre burned to the ground, and rebuild in 1966, with room for an audience of 628.